Mulligatawny on the Mind

I'm taking a brief blog break from my England travelogues to share one of my favorite recipes with you! Last Saturday night we had a dinner party to celebrate my mom's and my brother's girlfriend's birthday. We had 10 adults and 6 children, somehow all gathered around two tables in our dining room.


I made one of my all-time favorite recipes, Spicy Mulligatawny, accompanied by mango/banana lassis, naan bread, and some wonderful masala veggie burgers our friends Neal and Annette brought (from Trader Joe's). We serve it over basmati rice with condiments of yogurt, peanuts, raisins, coconut, and bananas.


I think I've always made this soup for a crowd, so I typically quadruple or quintuple it, and I also usually double the chicken (or decuple, in this case--yes, that's a word--it means multiplied by 10--I looked it up!!). I also cut the red pepper in half this time, because of all of the children. I chop everything up in the food processor, so it's fast and finely chopped.

Spicy Mulligatawny (from Cooking Light magazine, January 2002)


The name of this highly seasoned Indian soup means "pepper water." It gets quite a kick from the combination of curry powder, ground ginger, and crushed red pepper, but you can halve those ingredients if you don't like spicy foods.



Ingredients
1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup chopped peeled Gala or Braeburn apple
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup mango chutney
1/4 cup tomato paste
Chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Preparation

Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken, and sauté 3 minutes. Remove from pan; set aside.

Heat 2 teaspoons oil in pan. Add apple and next 4 ingredients (apple through bell pepper); sauté 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the flour and next 4 ingredients (flour through salt); cook 1 minute. Stir in broth, chutney, and tomato paste; bring to a boil.

Reduce heat; simmer 8 minutes. Return chicken to pan; cook 2 minutes or until mixture is thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)


Nutritional Information
CALORIES 236(18% from fat); FAT 4.8g (sat 0.8g,mono 1.1g,poly 2.3g); PROTEIN 18g; CHOLESTEROL 33mg; CALCIUM 42mg; SODIUM 599mg; FIBER 4.9g; IRON 1.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 31g


Let me know if you try it out, and whether you like it as much as we do! Because I made so much, we've been eating the leftovers for the past few days, and I think I could eat it weekly for the rest of my life, it's that good! (Yes, I'm such a modest chef!!) :)

Comments