Snow Day and Snow Ice Cream!

We had a dusting of snow several days last week, and it was the typical "first-snow-of-the-season" Portland paranoia, so that school was 2 hours late when it really did not need to be! But Saturday we woke up to the first proper snow of 2008! At last! It was my type of snow, too--the type that melts by the middle of the afternoon!




We got all suited up to go out and play in the snow, but alas, none of the kids were adequately outfitted. Chris had a warm coat, but only had tennis shoes. Kieran had hat, boots, and gloves, but refused to wear his warm jacket (typical of him; he insists that he doesn't need a jacket most of the time we go out), and Nicholas had a wonderful snow suit, but no boots. He was in his soft-soled leather Robeez, not very good for wet snow! Alas, Mike was disappointed that none of them stayed out for more than 15 minutes, but I can't say I blame them--it's hard to enjoy the snow when you're cold. Poor little Nicholas had it the worst; his feet were freezing when we brought him inside!!











The best news about the snow day was it snowed enough to make SNOW ICE CREAM!!! I thought that everyone grew up making and eating snow ice cream, but upon having many discussions with friends and acquaintances, I've discovered that this is not the case. Doesn't everyone my age, of the "Free to Be You and Me" generation, remember this line from "Glad to Have a Friend Like You"?



"And they raised up the window and they scooped all the snow together/
Put milk and sugar in and ate it.../
Singing, glad to have a friend like you, fair and fun and skipping free/
Singing, glad to have a friend like you, and glad to just be me!"



Okay, so my sister and I were totally obsessed with that record...I remember that she saved up all her money so that she could buy the record for Mr. Sposito, our beloved teacher, who I had for 3rd grade and she had for 2nd grade.

At any rate, I've introduced my kids to the fun of snow ice cream, and Kieran is positively obsessed with it.

He made a huge batch yesterday, which they unfortunately put in the freezer only to discover that it freezes solid to ice. It had to be thawed for quite awhile, and it did lose its uniquely snowy texture, but he enjoyed it...eventually. I took a photo, but have yet to loaded it to my computer yet--I'll post it later.

And here, without further ado, is a recipe for snow ice cream, for the uninitiated! If you google "snow ice cream," you'll find all sorts of recipes online...but it's so painfully easy, you really don't need a recipe. I have never used a recipe, but just in case you're feeling anxious, feel free to follow the amounts below.

Next time it snows, I dare you to try it!

Ingredients
· 1 gallon snow
· 1 cup white sugar
· 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
· 2 cups milk

Highly Complicated Directions
When it starts to snow, place a large, clean bowl outside to collect the flakes. When full, stir in sugar and vanilla to taste, then stir in just enough milk for the desired consistency. Serve at once.








Comments