Kristen Schaal Expresses My Feelings This Evening So Well...

Our friends Brad and Catherine turned me on to a series on HBO called "Flight of the Conchords," about a New Zealand alternative rock duo who try to make it big in New York City. (I'm so culturally behind the times since we don't have cable...I had to get it via Blockbuster Online.)


It's very offbeat and eccentric--just the type of series I enjoy. They have one groupie: a woman named Mel. Catherine and Brad say that she reminds them of me (they assure me that they are referring to her appearance, not necessarily her personality!). There is a tiny resemblance, but I'm hoping I don't come across as ditzy as she does! I haven't been for a haircut in awhile...maybe I should go for her hairstyle?

At any rate, they told me about her appearance on the "Daily Show," sending a message to the next woman president (300 years from now), and I found it on the web:



I thought it was a very fitting message to post tonight (even though it was recorded back in March), because as I was listening to Hillary Clinton's address this evening, I felt a huge wave of depression come over me. I'm very discouraged that we got so close to having a woman president, and we have lost our chance yet again. I recalled how much I enjoyed Geena Davis' TV show, "Commander in Chief," and how I was often inspired to tears at the thought of a woman running our country. Alas, it seems that it is not to be.

I sure hope it's not 300 years until we have a woman president. At this point, it feels like it could be that long. It's unfortunate that my excitement of this momentous milestone of having our first African-American major candidate is overshadowed by my sadness...as great as that is, I wish it didn't have to come at the expense of losing the opportunity to have a woman president. If Obama chooses Hillary as his VP choice (which I believe will be highly unlikely), I will actively campaign for the ticket. If he does not, I will support him nonetheless but be disappointed at the opportunity he has passed up to create a dream ticket. How gutsy is he? I do hope that he finds a way to acknowledge the misogyny in the media and internet that has resulted from this race.

Comments