Memoir Crazy!

As many of my readers know, I read voraciously. I will read the back of the cereal box if it's the only thing on the table. One of my favorite activities is to hang out in great bookstores with a pad of paper and a pen, jotting down books that I want to read. I'm also a cheapskate reader...If I bought all the books I read, it would become an expensive habit. Instead I get them out of the library or from http://www.paperbackswap.com/. I used to keep my lists in a Word document, but now that I'm active on goodreads.com, I keep my "to read" books there. What I like about that is I can sort them according to the number of stars they've received from other goodreads members (and see if my own friends have read them).

In addition to really good fiction, I also enjoy well-written nonfiction, in particular memoirs and biographies. So imagine my delight when I discovered this exhaustive list of recent memoirs in Entertainment Weekly (and consequently was able to find the list online). A memoir for every occasion and circumstance! Many of them I've already read, but I have discovered several new titles to add to my list.

Of the books on the list, these are the ones I've already read:

All Over but the Shoutin,' Rick Bragg
Angela's Ashes, Frank McCourt
Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight, Alexandra Fuller
Running with Scissors, Augusten Burroughs (but I didn't finish it--had to go back to the library, and I needed a break from it!!)
Waiting for Daisy, Peggy Orenstein
Into Thin Air, Jon Krakauer
The Glass Castle, Jeannette Walls
Traveling Mercies, Anne Lamott
The Color of Water, James McBride
How Starbucks Saved My Life, Michael Gates Gill
Infidel, Ayaan Hirsi Ali
Eat, Pray, Love, Elizabeth Gilbert
Three Cups of Tea, Greg Mortenson and David Relin

Alas, only a fraction of the memoirs on the list. I'm going to love reading my way through the list!!

Comments