True Love Stories Never Have Endings. (Richard Bach)

It's a reflection of my passing age that we haven't been attending very many weddings recently. I think we're in the sandwich generation--most of our friends are married, but most of their kids aren't old enough to get married yet. So when we do get to attend a wedding, I am most excited! We have been to some less-than-fun weddings in our time, but I always head to them feeling hopeful about the festivities. Fortunately I was not present at a wedding my sister attended earlier this summer, when the (Catholic) priest urged the decidedly middle-aged couple to commit to having any children they were to beget....I think I would have choked! (Reminds me of attending a Catholic "Engaged Encounter" before we were married, when we had to sit through a presentation on "natural family planning." I bravely stood up and expressed my opinion to all those Catholics that I did not believe that birth control was a sin. Such a spunky and idealistic youngster I was at the age of 25!)

At any rate, we were honored to be invited to attend the wedding of my sister's amazing nanny, Herrera, and her husband Asim. Herrera has been with Nadine's family for nearly 7 years now and she's truly become part of our extended family. Whenever any of us have a birthday or other notable occasion, we receive beautiful cards made by Nadine's kids (organized by Herrera). When the preschool our oldest nephew was attending shut down and Nadine and David couldn't find another acceptable one, Herrera offered to open a little preschool in their home (with the twins and one other child). One year in, it's been a great success! She has been pursuing a master's in psychology and has a bachelor's in early childhood education, so she is a highly qualified nanny and preschool teacher! Not only is she very talented with children, but she is also a wonderful mom to her 12-year-old daughter Muriel and a phenomenal chef.

Asim is a true romantic--he proposed to Herrera on the beach by reading out loud a nine-page letter he'd written to her. He is a kind, gentle, and loving man full of integrity. Muriel is very excited to be gaining a great stepfather!

Herrera and Asim invited all of Nadine and David's family to participate in their wedding--Nadine was a bridesmaid and threw Herrera a shower and helped her select her wedding dress; David was an usher; and their three children were the most adorable ring bearers I have ever seen!! (Okay, so I'm biased!!!) Tears came to my eyes as I saw them walk down the aisle in their adorable tuxes!! So cute!!!

Here are a few photos of the fun reception (the wedding photos didn't come out very well):


The happy couple's first dance

To keep your marriage brimming, with love in the wedding cup, whenever you're wrong, admit it; whenever you're right, shut up.- Ogden Nash


We come to love not by finding the perfect person,
but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.-
Sam Keen



Nadine and David, and David's brother Dennis and his wife Judy

Are we not like two volumes of one book? ~Marceline Desbordes-Valmore


A successful marriage requires falling in love many times,
always with the same person.
--Germaine Greer


Herrera grooving with her dad

To love someone deeply gives you strength.
Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage.
--Lao Tzu


Two such as you with such a master speed cannot be parted nor be swept away from one another once you are agreed that life is only life forevermore, together wing to wing and oar to oar. --Robert Frost


Asim dancing with new stepdaughter Muriel

There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage. --Martin Luther


The beautiful couple with Nadine and Daniel

Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place. ~Zora Neale Hurston

Me and Nicholas
Dennis & Judy's daughter Sam with Kieran

Nadine and I


They lost their tux jackets--but they still look cute!


Don't they look great? Nadine and David
Each time we attend a wedding, I never fail to think back to our own wedding 18 years ago, and how very lucky I am to have found someone amazing and wonderful to be my best friend and partner throughout life. So here's to my own handsome groom!

Wedlock is the deep, deep peace of the double bed after the hurly-burly of the chaise lounge. ~Mrs Patrick Campbell

A happy marriage is a long conversation that always seems too short. ~Andre Maurois
And congratulations to Herrera and Asim...may your love story never have an ending!

Comments