I Never Was an Athlete, But I Have Watched My Share of Basketball...

When Mike and I first got married, my parents had Blazer Cable (back then, many of the games were viewable only on cable), and we would get together with them and some other friends and watch the games together. In fact, we were worried that the Blazers would have a playoff game on our wedding day...alas, they were defeated by the Detroit Pistons that year. We didn't know if we should be happy or sad! That was in the heyday of the Blazers--with Clyde Drexler (my favorite), Terry Porter, Kevin Duckworth (RIP), and Buck Johnson.

Somewhere over the years, pro basketball lost its lustre...probably around the time that so many players got involved in sex and drugs...or perhaps when Chris was in the NICU and my life was turned upside down (which is also when I stopped reading the comics).

So why I am I waxing about basketball? Only because I know how critical free throws can be to a game. And the way the players and the fans can psych each other out about free throws. When I read this article, about a high school team that chose to miss their free throws to honor a player on the opposing team whose mother had died, it brought tears to my eyes. Yes, I'm a complete sap. That's another casualty of the NICU experience.

Comments