Peace followed by Storm Larger than Life

We had a weekend of amazing contrasts.

Saturday a coworker and friend arrived from Seattle to lead a spiritual yoga workshop at our church. Roy has recently published a book called Praying with the Body, and he is a Benedictine oblate (essentially a lay monk). So on Saturday afternoon we were praying and doing "blessed movement" in a meditative fashion. It was very peaceful and made me realize that I need to spend more time in my life in intentional thought and action.

On Saturday evening we had dinner with the boys, which was the opposite of quiet and contemplative! Poor Roy must have been stunned by their rambunctious energy, after raising two quiet daughters and trying to live the life of married monk nowadays. He was very tolerant and patient, however!

Sunday Roy gave the homily at church--more contemplation and prayer. It was an inspirational, beautiful service.

Then Mike and I had our lunch date at The Tea Zone and headed off to the theater to see "Crazy Enough" at Portland Center Stage.

"Crazy Enough" is a one-woman show by Storm Large, about her crazy, messed up life. Before seeing her theatrical debut in "Cabaret" last year, I had never heard of Storm Large. She became famous when she appeared on some reality rock star show, although I don't follow reality TV. I loved her in "Cabaret," and as soon as I saw she was doing this show, I told Mike I wanted to see it.

She was phenomenal. Her mom was mentally ill and tried to kill herself over and over again. Her dad was essentially absent for much of her childhood, and she was told at the age of 9 that she would most likely take after her mother. She lost her virginity at 12 and was addicted to heroin by age 21. Rock music saved her life.

She is tall, loud, sexy, gutsy, shocking, sensitive, wise, and talented. I love her singing voice and her songwriting. Mike enjoyed the show, but I loved it. I left the theater emotionally exhausted and exhilarated.

Unfortunately for me, the show is so popular that although it's been extended, the only shows not sold out are at the end of June when we will be out of town...sad for me because I would love to see it again.

The best moment of the play is this great song, which since I bought the CD keeps going through my head on an endless cycle: "Eight Miles Wide." This is a video of Large singing it in concert last December--not great quality, but you get the idea. The best part of the play was when she had all the men in the audience singing along to "My vagina is eight miles wide"!

Comments