Tomato Whisperers

Tomatoes are one of my top favorite things to grow in a garden. This year we have seven or eight separate plants, so we're expecting good things this summer. Here is an article by Lelo in Nopo (stands for North Portland) about how to grow scrumptious tomatoes. I can't wait!

Yesterday I was sitting at the raised beds pulling out what I thought were pesky weeds. I was wondering how we ended up with weeds in our raised beds with expensive soil and mulch!! Isn't that the point of having raised beds, so you don't have to deal with so many weeds? And it was the second day that I had noticed these little sprouts coming up.

Kieran spied me and came over to ask me why I was pulling up his radishes!! Apparently he had scattered a bunch of seeds all over the garden--radishes and other plants (he's not sure what is what). Apparently the author of the book Mike used for the raised beds recommends scattering seeds with a salt shaker and doing wild gardening.

We planted vegetable starts to speed things along this year, but unbeknownst to me, they had also scattered seeds. Mystery solved. I feel horrible that I was pulling up Kieran's little seedlings!! He didn't seem to be too terribly mad at me, after I promised not to do it any more! Fortunately, they seem to keep springing up, so I hope I haven't done too much damage.

Our garden is looking gorgeous. One of these days I'll take a photo and post it. Can't wait for those tomatoes!!

Comments

  1. I can't wait to see what a garden in a cool wet place looks like (as opposed to my little oasis in the desert!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment