Scattered, stream-of-consciousness blogging? That's me.

I'm in the midst of reading Living Oprah: My One-Year Experiment to Walk the Walk of the Queen of Talk, and I can't put it down. I'll write a review when I'm done, but for now I'll tell you that yoga teacher, writer, director, and performer Robyn Okrant dedicated a year of her life (2008) to living her life according to Oprah's wisdom and direction. I am fascinated by this idea, as I was while reading Barbara Ehrenreich's Nickel and Dimed or Bait and Switch, or Kevin Roose's The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University. To dedicate one's life to the pursuit of research for a finite amount of time...this intrigues me to no end.

Okrant chronicled her year of living Oprah in a blog solely dedicated to that purpose. As many of you know, my husband has begun a blog about writing (after years of claiming it would distract him from his "real" writing pursuits). He's been leaving comments on other writing blogs and has already attracted a following, including a number of Portland writers who have contacted him.

I know that the blog bibles suggest that blogs are best written with primarily one purpose or theme in mind. I know that they attract more attention and readership that way.

But the thought of making this blog about just one thing doesn't interest me. It reflects my overall philosophy about the world...my delight (and exhaustion) in parenting, books, travel, food, music...and my passionate opinions about current events, religion, and politics. It's all over the place. And that reflects my personality perfectly.

Someday perhaps I will come up with a creative idea for a single-purpose blog (besides my One Year to an Organized Life blog). I could easily segment this into several blogs--about travel, reading, family living, etc. But for now, this is where I mix it all up. Thanks for being a witness to my messy life and thoughts!

Comments