Affirmation of the Day: I prosper wherever I turn

"I now see opportunities for abundance everywhere. I am blessed and prospered (sic)."*
As far as I'm aware, "prospered" is an intransitive verb, not an adjective, so "prosperous" would be correct.

I realize that some might call me a Pollyanna, but my mom tells me I was born with an optimistic nature. I tend not to overanalyze or overthink things through...I'm the opposite of an analytical. My sister told me yesterday that she is suited to internal medicine because she can research medical conditions, do research, and think things through to reach diagnoses...and she said she would have struggled to work in the ER. I think I'm just the opposite. I tend to be a quick thinker, but sometimes that gets me in trouble! I've always admired her ability--since childhood--to set a goal (e.g., medical school) and work towards it with concentration and dedication. By comparison, I'm a slacker.

In the situations when I've jumped in with both feet and not overanalyzed a situation, I've been lucky that things have worked out for me. When I applied to work in Japan, I told myself that I would go if I got the job--even though I knew no one there and not a word of the language. When the job offer came, I had no choice but to go--in 1 month, no less! And thank God I did--it turned out to be one of the best decisions of my life. (Fortunately I was working as a nanny for my aunt and uncle in Seattle at the time, and my professsor aunt helped me think through the situation analytically and get some commitments in writing from the Japanese company I would be working for. Thank God she gave me that advice, because they turned out to be dishonest and tried to back out of their commitments.) Japan was not only was it a life-altering, eye-opening experience, but I also met the love of my life there.

I've found the same principle has worked with my job--I've been at my company for 20 years now! I started working there as a temporary receptionist/administrative assistant (while temping and looking for a permanent job in international relations). I applied for a permanent admin. assistant job, but I didn't get it because I told them that I wanted to be in that kind of a job for only a year (who could blame them for hiring someone else?). But one of the managers encouraged me to look into the company's editing department, and I've never looked back. I was encouraged to take on a supervisory role at the age of 29 (and every other person in the department was older than me), mentored to become a proposal manager because someone believed I had potential for growth, encouraged to apply for a regional management role at the age of 31, and when our firmwide group reorganized a few years ago, changed my role again. I went from managing 60 to 70 people to having only one direct report and focusing more on strategic initiatives, tools, and processes. At first I was resistant, but I turned the corner and went with the flow. Consequently, I've been able to do a great deal of internal project management and communications work in the past couple of years. It's been great fun, and I've also enjoyed not managing staff for awhile too.

Tomorrow morning I leave for a business meeting in Denver, where we will contemplate another reorganization. My role could change again.This time, I'm ready and will go with the flow from the beginning. I've told my manager and colleagues that I'm ready to serve in whatever role they think suits me best. I need to remember the lesson of letting go and letting myself prosper that way.

Have you had positive experiences when you have let yourself go and allow prosperity to come your way?

*From Power Thought Cards by Louise L. Hay

Comments

  1. I think I tend to be like you, I tend to jump into things thinking that they can only work out in my favor. Although I get anxious about things, deep down I just assume that I will be provided for somehow, and I have to say, life is turning out good!

    Good luck tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree--that approach usually works pretty well for me, too, Lizzi!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment