Affirmation of the Day: "I see my parents as tiny children who need love"

"I have compassion for my parents' childhoods. I now know that I chose them because they were perfect for what I had to learn. I forgive them and set them free, and I set myself free."*

I am one of those lucky people who had a happy childhood, primarily because my parents loved me and told me so. I'm certainly not saying that they were perfect parents, but I do feel pretty darn lucky in the parent department!

I'm not sure why I should view my parents as tiny children. I suppose the theory is that tiny children are sinless and without blemish. It's easier to love a tiny child unconditionally than an adult who has made lots of mistakes.
So much of who we are as adults comes from the way we ourselves were parented and what kind of childhoods we had. Understanding what makes people become who they are can go a long way toward forgiveness and unconditional love.

Being a mom myself has made me appreciate my parents so much more, especially for the childhood they gave me. I hope my children will forgive me for the mistakes I've made in my own parenting!


*From Power Thought Cards by Louise L. Hay

Comments