Composer of "Fiddler on the Roof" dies at 81

Jerry Bock, who composed the music for "Fiddler on the Roof," among other shows, died today at age 81.

Here's to "Fiddler on the Roof":
  • It was the first movie I remember ever seeing in the cinema--my parents took all three of us children to see it, so they must have felt it was important or noteworthy. I remember my brother not being too captivated by it, but he must have been very young.
     
  • I love the Jewish story and the spunky women who love--but rebel against--their father.
     
  • All of the songs are memorable, and I know all of them.
  • We had "Sunrise Sunset" sung at our wedding, and our wedding video contains a clear shot of Mike's dad tearing up when hearing the song.
     
  • I remember seeing a wonderful production of it at LaSalle High School (a coworker's daughter was in it), with the amazing and funny Ernie Casciato as Tevye. Chris must have been about 4 years old, and he sat through the 3-hour-long production, absolutely enthralled.
     
  • Kieran went through a "Fiddler on the Roof" stage, when I took him and Chris to see the show at Robert Gray Middle School several years ago. He watched the movie on DVD and was frightened by the dream scene (although I warned him about it), but was then disappointed when it was cut out of the play.
How to choose one favorite song--it's impossible! But here's one of many I like:

 


 

 L'chaim!

Comments