Oh how I love you, Portobello!

My boss, who happens to be vegan, was visiting Portland early in December. I scoured the web to find a great option for dinner and happened upon outstanding reviews for Portobello, a new vegan restaurant in SE Portland. Off we went--boss, coworker, and I.

I was delighted to discover that Portobello had a number of gluten-free options in addition to the entirely vegan menu. And the food was stupendous, whether vegan or not. I will definitely be returning, with Mike this time. Portobello and Bamboo Sushi were my favorite Portland restaurant finds of 2010!

I had cashew cheese stuffed peppadew peppers to start (and boss had spicy, cheesy polenta with tomato sauce, which he shared). Then I had a gluten-free pizza with butternut squash, apples, walnuts and other goodness. The pizza was huge, so I was able to eat it for the next couple of days as well as share it with Mike.

My only sadness was that they do not serve gluten-free pasta yet. I can only hope. (I do eat wheat but try to minimize the quantity...so pasta or pizza is better gluten free.)

What's even better is that the menu features poems by Mary Oliver, like the following:
“I don't want you just to eat, and be content.
I want you to walk into the fields
Where the water is shining, and the rice has risen.
I want you to stand there, far from the white tablecloth.
I want you to fill your hands with mud, like a blessing.”

-from Rice by Mary Oliver

Comments