Did you know you are supporting child slavery with that cheap chocolate?

As I wrote about before last year's Valentine's Day, most of the abundant chocolate we consume in the developed world is produced on the backs of child slaves.

And no, the problem was not solved in the past year. It has not improved since then either. What dismayed me last year, and continues to distress me, is how little information is out there in the popular media...and I consider myself to be a well-read person. If you internet-search slavery and chocolate you'll find a bunch of hits, like this article in the Huffington Post...but most people still are unaware of what's going on.

I only buy free trade chocolate now. Yes, it's more expensive, but high-quality chocolate tastes so much better! I'm still waiting for free trade chocolate chips though!!

Want to know how various chocolate companies score? Check out the chart below.



Won't you join me in refusing to buy mass-produced, slavery-supported chocolate? We've got to spread the word and take a stand!


Comments