Why Ronald Reagan was not the great American president

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but here's the first reason:

And here are five myths about Reagan's presidency, debunked.
I am proud to say that I never voted for Reagan (I know that a lot of Democrats were suckered into supporting him, for some reason). The first presidential election I voted in, when I was at PLU, I heavily backed (and voted for) Mondale/Ferraro. I will never forget going to an extremely packed, then-newish Tacoma Dome to hear Geraldine Ferraro (I couldn't see a thing because I'm so short!). It was very exciting to be able to cast a vote for a woman on the presidential ticket my very first time! Alas, we have not been able to repeat that since 1984!!

In fact, my friend Kristin and I were such vociferous Democrats in our dorm that we were targeted by the dorm's VERY weird Young Republicans, aptly named Sid and Jim. They posted "KGB-approved" stickers on our doors and one morning I woke to a rigged door--they had put an album cover full of flour under my door so that when we opened it, flour would shoot out all over our room. It got so bad that we all had to meet with the dorm director to discuss it. It was my first (and actually, only direct) experience of right-wing repugnant harassment. All we were doing was minding our own business (and posting bumper stickers on our doors and signs in our windows). I'm sure they are neonazis now, or at the very least, Glenn Beck groupies.

Comments