Dumpster diving for fun and profit?

Several years ago, Mike received the book The Glass Castle from his brother for Christmas. I had read it and liked it, but Mike was puzzled about why he chose that particular book. When he talked to him later that day, Edward told him to read the first sentence. This is what it says:
"I was sitting in a taxi, wondering if I had overdressed for the evening, when I looked out the window and saw Mom rooting through a dumpster."
It was the perfect private joke. Years ago, Mike's mum and my dad went dumpster diving together at Grand Central Bakery after discovering that they habitually discarded all their unsold bread at the end of the day. (They stopped doing this not long after that.) Apparently there's a name for this--the "Freegan scene."

In Japan, nearly all of the foreigners (except for well-compensated ones like my now-hubby!) dumpster dove to furnish their flats. My friends and I found all sorts of appliances and furnishings left outside at the curb on garbage day. However, I draw the line at food, but I must confess that we did eat some of the bread they scavenged (after extracting assurances that the bread was wrapped and not touching any garbage)!

All of this came to mind when I saw this wonderful "Portlandia" clip making fun of dumpster diving. Enjoy!

Comments

Post a Comment