Holden Village 2011: Hikes

As I mentioned in an earlier post, many who visit Holden Village spend many of their days on long, strenuous hikes in the North Cascade wilderness around the village. The most frequently taken hikes are Hart Lake and Holden Lake, 9 or 10 miles round trip (and much of it uphill). A group of men (and one boy) hiked into Holden, and when I was a child, the teenagers from our church used to do an annual multi-day "Holden Hike." I'm not much of a long-distance hiker, but I always enjoy taking little hikes around the village.
One day my friend Shelia and I ventured to Monkey Bear Falls, which was about 2.5 miles from the village.
Tenmile Falls, 1 mile from the village

Me in front of the falls




Shelia on the trail

Monkey Bear Falls


One day Mike and I took Nicholas for a stroll down to the covered bridge, creek, and old mine.
By the old water wheel


The road near the mine

Nicholas "fishing" in the creek

On the bridge


Hobbit house
Later in the week a large group of us took the short (2-mile) hike to Tenmile Falls, which is perfect for younger kids.
Mom and me

Mom and Dad

Nick claiming the forest

The hiking crowd

Beautiful tree trunk

Comments