Obama on Sandra Fluke and the war on women

In a press conference today, President Obama weighed in on the war on women:
"...The reason I called [Fluke] is because I thought about Malia and Sasha, and one of the things I want them to do as they get older is to engage in issues they care about--even ones I may not agree with them on. I want them to be able to speak their mind in a civil and thoughtful way, and I don't want them attacked or called horrible names because they are being good citizens.
"I wanted Sandra to know that I thought her parents should be proud of her and that we want to send a message to all our young people that being part of a democracy involves argument and disagreements and debate," he said. "We want you to be engaged, and there is a way to do it that doesn't involve you being demeaned and insulted."
These types of comments make me very proud of my president...for standing up for the rights of women.

Sarah Palin immediately fired back, asking why it's okay for Bill Maher to call her despicable names, but not okay when Rush Limbaugh does the same. Now even though these are very different situations (Sandra Fluke is an innocent citizen, whose only "offense" was standing up for what she believes in, while Sarah Palin is herself a bully and a celebrity, attacking liberals left and right with nasty name calling and hyperbole), I have to admit she has a good point. Bill Maher can be brilliant, but he can also be a misogynist.

Calling women sexual-oriented names is never okay, in any circumstance. Call her an idiot, call her a dumb person, call her incredibly out of touch with reality, but do not call her names related to her sexuality or sexist terms such as "Barbie." It's not the same, but yes, Bill Maher should apologize too.

Comments

  1. Just for the record, when Bill did that NOW, Nancy Pelosi, many democratic/liberal organizations & people called him out on it. With stronger condemnation than, "It's not the language I would have used."

    When Ed Shultz made the same error, he was benched by MSNBC for a week. And apologized to Ms. Bachmann. Slightly different reactions to those from the right. I would rather "my side" never stooped so low, but at least when we do, we own up to it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment