Tribute to Hillary Clinton from the "Cheerleader in Chief," Meryl Streep

Meryl Streep, whom I adore, gave a heartfelt, beautiful, and funny tribute to Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton at the Women in the World Summit on Saturday.

Streep compared her life to Hillary's. They both were raised by strong mothers and attended public high school followed by women's colleges and then graduated from Yale. But this is where their paths diverged.


"I was a cheerleader, Hillary was a head of student government. I was the lead in all three musicals; I'm told that Hillary should never be encouraged to sing."
Streep read some additional tributes from women across the world whose lives Hillary has touched:

"I'm alive because she came to my village, put her arm around me, and had a photograph taken together. I'm alive because she went on our local TV and talked about my work, and now they're afraid to kill me. I'm alive because she came to my country and she talked to our leaders, because I heard her speak, because I read about her. I'm here today because of that, because of those stories."


It's a tribute featuring two admirable, strong, accomplished, and intelligent women--role models for all of us!

Comments

Post a Comment