Food cart adventures: Phat cart


Last week I went out to the carts to see what was next in the row. I passed by the first two--just wasn't in the mood for either of them, and I also guessed I couldn't get much without white, processed flour (either a flour burrito or a hamburger bun). The "Burgers" cart had too many different types of food for my liking--Mexican food, burgers, and sandwiches. And no real name! Maybe I'll have my 16-year-old son try the pulled pork sandwich there and write a review for me. He's a sucker for pulled pork. Chopollo's actually gets good reviews online, so I might have to go back one of these days. As for "Burgers," I couldn't find anything online! Could they possibly have come up with a more boring name?
 
Chopollo's cart

The incredibly boring (and incomplete) named Burgers cart
Next in the row was Phat Cart, which I hadn't really paid much attention to before. As I was perusing the menu, I noticed a distinctive Japanese flavor, with bentos, Kewpie mayo (Japanese mayonnaise made of egg yolks instead of whole eggs), dumplings, etc.  It looks like the chef might be Japanese or from Hawaii. It's sort of Japanese/Hawaiian/Asian fusion. (The only dessert they offer is Indian fried dough, like a roti.)
 
2008_03_06-Kewpie.jpg
Kewpie mayo

Phat cart menus


I like their signage and decor, too!

I decided on the spring special, the oven-roasted chicken bento, which came with sauteed zucchini (one of my favorite veggies), rice, and two chicken gyoza, for $6.50. It's not as great of a deal as my beloved Dosirak, which gives you more food for $7 (enough for two lunches), but a decent-sized lunch irregardless. 
 
The only downside to this cart was that it had quite a line (a good sign, right?), and I had to wait maybe 10 minutes for my food. This is a longer-than-usual wait for a food cart. The server apologized for the wait. I'm not sure what took so long, because I would presume that the chicken was already roasted. But I'm guessing the food was fresher this way, right?


My Phat cart roasted chicken bento
My verdict: Yum! I'll be back.

Comments