Z: Last Prayer


Today ends my month of blogging daily, meditating on author Brian Doyle's uncommon prayers celebrating the miracle and muddle of the ordinary. I hope these posts have made you look anew at the ordinary. And here is Brian Doyle's last prayer, a reflection on the blessings in his life. What would you write, if you were to be thankful for the greatest blessings in your life?

And yay for otters. They are my favorite animal too. My spirit animal. 

Z: Last Prayer

Dear Coherent Mercy: thanks. Best life ever.

Personally I never thought a cool woman would come close to understanding me, let along understanding me but liking me anyway, but that happened!

And You and I both remember that doctor in Boston saying polite but businesslike that we would not have children but then came three children fast and furious!

And no man ever had better friends, and no man ever had a happier childhood and wilder brothers and a sweeter sister, and I was that rare guy who not only loved but liked his parents and loved sitting and drinking tea and listening to them!

And You let me write some books that weren't half bad, and I got to have a career that actually no kidding helped some kids wake up to their best selves, and no one ever laughed more at the ocean of hilarious things in this world, or gaped more in astonishment at the wealth of miracles everywhere every moment.

I could complain a little right here about the long years of back pain and the occasional awful heartbreak, but Lord, those things were infinitesimal against the slather of gifts You gave mere me, a muddle of a man, so often selfish and small. But no man was ever more grateful for Your profligate generosity, and here at the very end, here in my last lines, I close my eyes and weep with joy that I was alive, and blessed beyond measure, and might well be headed back home to the incomprehensible Love from which I came, mewling, many years ago.

But hey, listen, can I ask one last favor? If I am sent back for another life, can I meet my lovely bride again? In whatever form? Could we be hawks, or otters maybe? And can we have the same kids again if possible? And if I get one friend again, can I have my buddy Pete? He was a huge guy in this life--make him the biggest otter ever, and I'll know him right away, okay? Thanks, Boss. Thanks from he bottom of my heart. See You soon.

Remember--otters. Otters rule. And so: amen. 

Here's more information on why I chose this focus for the A to Z, and you can read all my 2015 A to Z posts here. I hope you enjoy the celebrations of the miracle and muddle of the ordinary! 

You can buy the book at Brian's favorite local bookstore, Broadway Books, at Powell's Books, or on AmazonBrian's work is used with permission of Ave Maria Press.

Comments

  1. Totally got a lump in my throat from reading this one. It would be a wonderful prayer to keep at the bedside of a loved one, or as you're losing that person to the next world. To feel that kind of joy for life is rare, a huge blessing. May we all be so blessed.
    Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment